I have determined that this is worth your attention.
Friends… April’s Dardanella of the Month comes to you from LAWRENCE WELK! Yes, it’s easy to make fun of Welk’s music because it sounds so hokey to our sophisticated hipster ears… BUT LOOK AT HOW MUCH FUN THESE PEOPLE ARE HAVING!
This month the coveted DARDANELLA OF THE MONTH goes to… THE SPOTNICKS, a Swedish guitar band that is STILL TOGETHER after OVER 50 YEARS! This is a cool version of Dardanella, with some fun whammy bar work, so enjoy it.
Note that the drummer in the picture in this video is Jimmie Nicol, famous for replacing Ringo Starr for the Beatles for a couple of weeks on tour while Mr. Starr was too ill to travel. He wasn’t with the Spotnicks long. The Spotnicks have recorded over 40 albums, and in the 60s charted some hits in Europe and Japan. That’s more impressive than your Dad’s garage band, hey?
You should watch this. Yes, YOU.
THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS TO HELP DANIELLE!
The auction site for Matthew Parise has awesome things up for bid today (until 6pm EST):
- Lauren Ashley Bishop singing “Happy Birthday” with piano accompaniment by “The Mindy Project’s” Ed Weeks.
- Griffin Technologies “Woodtone” Earbuds and a digital download from @girl11eleven
- A handcrafted brooch by @cloudya
- Avatar Art from Josh Hara
Coming up for auction later today (Wednesday at 6PM EST):
- An official cast and crew hoodie signed by the hosts of Nikki & Sara LIVE from @ChaseMit
- A signed copy of “Not Tilda Swinton” by Eli Yudin and Carey O’Donnell
- Digital art by Kally Hanafin (@kalamazu)
- A copy of “Robots Feel Nothing When They Hold Hands” signed by the authors and artists from @dearanyone
- Cookies Made to Order from @lafix
We are selling t-shirts that feature one of Matt’s most popular tweets, designed by Jonathan Sloan (@mrbigfists). They are available in:
Male - XS, S, MD, LG, XL, 2XL, 3XL
Female - XS, S, MD, LG, XL, 2XL
One shirt for $24.99, two for $45
Let me know what size(s) you would like!
I cannot thank all of you enough for donating, bidding, buying, contributing and spreading the word about our fundraising efforts on behalf of Matt and Danielle and her ongoing medical care. You are all amazing unicorns!
The trumpet, clarinet and trombone all get to do solos. The banjo and bass don’t. That hardly seems fair, but nevertheheck, George Huxley’s Jazz band gets FEBRUARY’S DARDANELLA OF THE MONTH!
What could be more charming than old-timey cowboys playing a foxtrot on a kinescope? It’s the Brazo Valley Boys with January’s Dardanella of the Month!
Munro. Academy Award-winning animated short. 1961.
All the Cats Join In - Benny Goodman, 1946
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you 2012’s final DARDANELLA OF THE MONTH, with the amazing, scat-singing JUDY GARLAND. Circa 1939, with lyrics jazzed up for the new era. Apologies for the scratchy recording.